Nurse's Office Information
Competitive Sports Permission Form- This form must be complete prior to trying out for a competitive sport.
Sports Physical Form -- Must be turned in to the school nurse prior to the first date of tryouts for that sport. This form is valid for 13 months from the date of the exam. If the exam expires during a sport season, the student will not be eligible to participate (practice or play) until a new exam has been submitted and approved by the nurse.
Travel Release Form -- If you are not taking the bus, this for must be turned in to Mr. Murphy 24 hours prior to EACHcompetition.
Welcome to the WMS Nurse's website. Please check this website occasionally for current health information you may need to know, health alerts, interesting links, etc.
**The number of students that come to the health office before lunch complaining of headaches, stomachaches, and fatigue is alarming. When questioned, 99% of these students have not had breakfast. We know it is sometimes difficult for young adolescents to find time before school to have a healthy breakfast, but there are many other healthy alternatives that students can eat when in a hurry or even on their way to school. Please do all that you can to remind them of how important this is for their health and well being.**
I have created a Medical Forms page for your convenience as well as added several other links to useful information below.
Please feel free to call me to discuss any health concerns that you may have regarding your children. My office hours are 7:30 to 3:00 daily.
JoMarie Halsey RN, BSN
Public Health School Nurse
Western Middle School
School phone #: 203-531-5700
School Entry Requirements Medication Administration Policy
Guidelines: When To Keep Your Child Home Scoliosis Screenings At School
When Do We Need a Doctor's Note?
- If your child has been absent for more than a week.
- If your child has had a contagious illness.
- If your child cannot participate in PE for more than one week.
- If your child has a splint, cast, crutches, etc. Please have your doctor write how long your child will not be able to participate in PE. If the doctor writes "until further notice" or does not give a date for return to PE class, we will need a second doctor's note stating your child may return to class.
- If your child needs use of the elevator (please note that there is a $20 deposit for elevator keys).
When Can My Child Be Excused From Gym?
- Parents can excuse their children from PE activities for no more than one week. If a student is not able to participate in PE for longer than a week we require a note from your child's physician stating the reason and the date that they will return to PE. If the note states, "until further notice," then we will need a second doctor's note stating your child may return to class. Parents cannot write the return note.
- A student who is excluded from PE must first bring a note to the nurse for review. He or she will then report to PE with a copy of the note and receive further directions from the PE teacher.